MDT running HPIA with a CMSL sync'd offlinecache, exit code 2, CMSL failure to download SP95580

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Author
Posted: 18 May 2020 - 8:41pm
MDT running HPIA with a CMSL sync'd offlinecache, exit code 2, CMSL failure to download SP95580

My organisation uses MDT for reimaging at our various locations. I'm working towards adopting HPIA to perform softpaq installs during the operating system Task Sequence, which i'm sure many on this forum have already done in recent years.

Currently, HPIA is executed as follows:

".\Applications\Drivers-HP\HPIA\HPImageAssistant.exe" /Operation:Analyze /Action:Install /Silent /noninteractive /debug /ReportFolder:C:\ProgramData\MDTlogs /Offlinemode:".\Applications\Drivers-HP\Softpaqs" /SoftpaqDownloadFolder:C:\Temp\HPIA-Softpaqs

from a blank "Working Directory"

It's consistently returning exit code 2, and I'm having trouble finding why. The user guide suggests that's a verification failure, so I could at least use a log file to indicate which softpaq was the problem.

/debug is doing no good. That only seems to generate a log if a logged in user executes HPIA. When executed by System user or MDTNAA it produces nothing (or am I not finding it?)

/ReportFolder arguement achieves nothing - no log is put there. 

MDT produces BDD.log and ZTIapplications.log, which provide the exit code of 2 on HPImageAssistant.exe's task - and that's all one could hope for really, from MDT

{offlinecachefolder}\.repository\Activity.log indicates sp95580 getting a 404 error on attempting the cva file download... which is funny, because 95580 is up on HP's FTP server Softpaq repo with no CVA. I downloaded that using an FTP client just to take a look, and turns out it's a BIOS update 1.75 for the HP Z4G4 - an odd duck of the BIOS update path for the Z4G4. Is this bundle's failure to download the root of the problem? The test computer was in this case a HP Elitebook 840 G6, so it shouldn't care about a Z4 G4 softpaq.

Why are we getting a consistent Exit Code 2?

Why is CMSL failing to download SP95580?

Author
Posted: 19 May 2020 - 6:22am
Some notes for

Some notes for troubleshooting:

it would be useful to know what your cmsl commands for the laptop are... also, you do not say if any drivers at all get installed, or HPIA fails with nothing installed... There are no reasons why HPIA should try to download and install a Z4G4 BIOS

provide the cmsl command you use to initialize, setup, and filter

also, the debug switch does create a log even when running from the System account... it is likely hosted at c:\windows\temp ... search for 'hp image assistant.log'

if you are imaging and just want to install drivers, i would add the cmsl filter option 'ssm', which would allow the invoke-repostitorysync command from having anything but drivers that are silently installable

Add-RepositoryFilter -os win10 -osver 1909 -platform 8549 -category driver -characteristic ssm
Author
Posted: 19 May 2020 - 8:38am
... additional comments

... additional comments

you mention that you start the HPIA application execution from a 'blank "Working Directory"'... how is MDT finding HPIA and the repository, since your command line shows you starting in the 'current' folder (eg. .\Applications\...)

are there any files in 'C:\ProgramData\MDTlogs', or in 'C:\Temp\HPIA-Softpaqs'? 

Author
Posted: 19 May 2020 - 4:45pm
CMSL config etc

Thanks for the prompt reply. Ya, I should have provided that up front. Here you go:

#One-offs to add HPCMSL, then initialise the repo
Install-Module -Name HPCMSL
Initialize-Repository
Set-RepositoryConfiguration -setting OfflineCacheMode -Cachevalue Enable
set-RepositoryConfiguration -setting OnRemoteFileNotFound -value LogAndContinue

#Sync commands
Invoke-RepositorySync
Invoke-RepositoryCleanup

#Filters
# note: may fail if all are applied at once; add them 10 at a time
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '22DA' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '225A' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '2255' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '8054' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '82CA' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '807C' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '8079' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '80D5' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '212B' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '8414' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '83B3' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '83B2' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '842A' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '81C5' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '81C6' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '81C7' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '85B9' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '861F' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '8589' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '854A' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '8549' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm
Add-RepositoryFilter -os ‘win10’ -osver ‘1903’ -platform '860F' -category bios,firmware,driver,os,diagnostic,dock -characteristic ssm

Note I: I've just added the "-characteristic SSM" in reaction to your first reply, because that sounds like a value-add for the way I intend to use it
Note II: -osver 1903 is because that's what our fleet's using at this time

Drivers were NOT installed by HPIA during the MDT OS Task Sequence tests I discussed yesterday
I have this morning emptied the repo, rebuilt it (with above filters) and am putting it through a sync.

Our choice of working directory is usually ".\Applications\{folder}"; I was getting filenotfounds with that in this case, as the Softpaqs are on the same level as the HPIA folder (.\Applications\Drivers-HP\HPIA and .\Applications\Drivers-HP\Softpaqs respectively). I'll experiment with this part a bit more on my own, should be just a pathing issue with MDT.

No file named "HPImageAssistant.log" nor "HP Image Assistant.log" is found by windows searches for same (nor for *HP*.log)

Author
Posted: 20 May 2020 - 5:27am
Thanks for the info and

Thanks for the info and details.

it looks like MDT is not able to run HPIA on the client, perhaps because it can not find it? You may want to try just running HPIA without any options, like ".\Applications\Drivers-HP\HPIA\HPImageAssistant.exe" - and watch the client to see if the application runs. In my SCCM tests, when using the -debug option, there is always a 'hp image assistant.log' file created in c:\windows\temp. since you do not see this file, HPIA may not be running at all. Try it by itself and see if it starts correctly.

i have not tried it with MDT myself... i have not done much MDT work in a few years... i'll see what i can find

Author
Posted: 20 May 2020 - 7:40am
in my MDT i leverage HPIA in

in my MDT i leverage HPIA in online mode. Offline mode should be really similar 

Working directory is the HPIA source folder on the share. cmd line is 

HPImageAssistant.exe /Operation:Analyze /Category:all /Selection:all /Action:install /Silent /ReportFolder:c:\hpia\report /SoftpaqDownloadFolder:c:\hpia\download

if i were to do offlinemode i'd place the repository filter one level deeper and do /offlinemode:.\repository 

I would still keep the download folder switch so that softpaqs are pulled from the mdt share to local on the client. I'm always scared of a network softpaq taking out the network during install. You can clean up this folder after the fact if you wish. 

if the repsoitory exists outside of the mdt share you'll need to use zticonnect.wsf to authenticate to that repository most likely. 

Author
Posted: 20 May 2020 - 1:44pm
Someone knowledgeable

Someone knowledgeable suggested your Task Sequence should have a connect to share step, and then run the application from the share

Author
Posted: 20 May 2020 - 3:09pm
Except it's a replicated share

Yes, that would have made life easier, but we have a wide scatter of sites and each one has it's own file server. We replicate the repo to each one, but that means the servername is different at each site. Easiest way around that is just put the repo in the DeploymentShare and path it contextually, so that's currently what I'm testing with.

Author
Posted: 20 May 2020 - 3:19pm
Trying alternative pathing

As agreed, yes, could be pathing I guess... exit code 2 is a verify softpaq error though, so it sure sends you off on a different avenue of investigation.

I've adjusted the pathing and am testing it. Not sure if you guys are still working at this time - isn't it 18:20 over there now? - so I may have missed you for the day, but I intend to drive into the office just to watch this thing if I keep getting the same outcome.

Author
Posted: 21 May 2020 - 9:51pm
Yep, pathing.

I saw the idea about mapping to a share. But, the repo is not on just one server. We have a replicated repo with copies on all file servers. This lets users copy from a local data source rather than across the WAN. If our WAN was better we might just use that - but at many sites it's too slow, and our group went with file servers (years ago) rather than caching devices. That's made it expedient for us to store the repo in the deploymentshare instead.

I tried a couple of things from MDT:

1 - MDT Working Directory: (blank)

Executing: ".\Applications\Drivers-HP\HPIA\HPimageassistant.exe" with various arguments, including /offline:".\Applications\Drivers-HP\Softpaqs" 

No good. Exit code 2. Still confused by THAT being the error, but ok.

2 - MDT Working Directory: .\Applications\Drivers-HP

Executing: ".\HPIA\HPimageassistant.exe" with various arguments, including /offline:".\Softpaqs" 

4097 error.

In as much as it didn't accept the argument, the exit code is sensible. Really surprised this second idea doesn't work but it consistently doesn't. Apparently, something about how the argument is read means it doesn't pick up the working directory context.

Changing that to "/offline:.\Applications\Drivers-HP\Softpaqs" also produced a 4097, so #2 is a bust.

3 - Moved repo from Drivers-HP\Softpaqs to Drivers-HP\HPIA\_Softpaqs, then used Working Directory: .\Applications\Drivers-HP\HPIA

Executing: "HPimageassistant.exe" with various arguments, including /offline:".\_Softpaqs" 

This works. I didn't want to nest Softpaqs under the HPIA directory, and I don't quite get why this works and option #2 doesn't, but there you have it.

BTW, I've chosen to withdraw the -characteristic SSM argument from the filters because it then leaves out some applications (Collab keyboard, Notifications) - and our users want those. We'll just accept running All updates instead for now.